Tabu is an Indian actress. She has worked in many Bollywood, English, Tamil, Telugu, Malayalam, Marathi, and Bengali films. She is the recipient of two National Film Awards and has also been awarded the Padam Shri by the Government of India.
Tabu was born as Tabassum Fatima Hashmi on 4 November 1971 (age 47 years; as in 2018) in Hyderabad, Telangana, India. While she was just a few months old, her father divorced her mother and never came to meet Tabu. She did her schooling from St. Anns high school, Hyderabad and enrolled in St. Xavier’s College, Mumbai to pursue graduation in Electronics. Although she was brought up in a family with an educational background, she had a deep interest in acting.
Tabu in her childhood
At the age of 11, she started working in films as a child actress. In 1982, she appeared in the film “Bazaar,” and, later, she starred in “Hum Naujawan,” where she played the role of the daughter of Devanand.
Height: 5′ 8½”
Weight: 65 kg
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Dark Brown
Figure Measurements: 34-28-37
Family, Caste & Husband
Tabu belongs to a Hyderabadi Muslim Family and follows Islam. Her father, Jamal Hashmi, was an actor. Her mother, Rizwana, is a school teacher. She has an elder sister, Farah Naaz, who is a former actress.
Tabu’s father, Jamal Hashmi
Tabu with her mother, Rizwana
Tabu with her sister, Farah Naaz
Tabu with her mother and sister
Her grandfather, Mohammed Ahsan, was a Mathematics professor, and her grandmother was an English Literature professor. Tabu is the niece of actress Shabana Azmi and cinematographer Baba Azmi.
Tabu with Shabana Azmi
Tabu met Sanjay Kapoor on the sets of their film “Prem.” They both started dating each other while shooting for the film.
Tabu and Sanjay Kapoor
The next man that came into Tabu’s life was the director and producer, Sajid Nadiadwala. Sajid was coping with his wife Divya Bharti’s loss when the duo started dating each other.
Tabbu with Sajid Nadiadwala
After Sajid, Tabu fell in love with the Telugu actor Akkineni Nagarjuna. Akkineni was a married man. The couple dated each other for 10 years and their relationship came to an end when Tabu realised that the actor was not going to leave his wife for her.
Tabu with Akkineni Nagarjuna
Tabu started her acting career with the Telugu film “Coolie No. 1.” She made her Bollywood debut with “Pehla Pehla Pyar.” Her breakthrough role was in the film “Vijaypath,” opposite Ajay Devgn. Her performance in the film earned her a Filmfare Award for the “Best Female Debut.” Next, she featured in “Saajan Chale Sasural” and “Jeet.”
In 1996, Tabu starred in the Telugu film “Ninne Pelladata.” The film went on to become a blockbuster.
Her most appraised performances were in films “Maachis” (1996), “Virasaat” (1997), “Chachi” 420 (1997), “Biwi No.1” (1999), “Hum Saath Saath Hain” (1999), “Astitva” (2000), “Hera Pheri” (2000), “Maqbool” (2003), “Fanaa” (2006), “Jai Ho” (2014), “Drishyam” (2014), “Golmaal Again” (2017), and “Andhadhun” (2018).
Tabu has also featured in international films like “The Namesake” and “Life of Pi.”
- When Tabu was just a teenager, she accompanied her elder sister, Farah Naaz, for an outstation shooting. There, she accused Jackie Shroff of molesting her.
- On 5 April 2018, Tabu, along with her co-stars of the film “Hum Saath Saath Hain,” was exempted by the Jodhpur court in the black buck killing case as only Salman Khan was proved to be guilty and he was sentenced to a 5-year jail term.
- Film: Golmaal (starring Amol Palekar) (1979)
- Her hobbies include collecting perfumes, writing poems, and reading books.
- Tabu resides at Anukul, 2nd Floor, 7 Bungalows, Andheri (W), Mumbai.
- She is a pure vegetarian.
- Despite being one of the best actresses of Bollywood, she believes in living a simple life.
- Tabu is very particular about her fitness. She goes to the gym and practices Yoga regularly.
- She is well versed with Telugu, Urdu, Hindi, and English.
- Tabu has so much hatred for her father that she never wishes to see him.